As you may have guessed, I like to start my next project immediately after I finish the previous one. After I made Marilyn, my grandfather was so impressed he asked if I would do him a gorilla. My grandfather is blind, so I wanted to find a pattern that had a fair bit of detail so he could feel all the features with his fingers. I looked everywhere, but all I could find were monkeys or unrealistic looking Gorillas. I eventually found a monkey that I could attempt to pass off as a gorilla and set about making it. I made all the individual pieces, including the little muzzle on his face, but when I put it all together, it looked awful. Actually, awful isn’t the word. It looked so bad I threw it on the floor in a huff! I resumed my search for a pattern on the internet and found a beautiful, realistic looking gorilla on Etsy. I bought the pattern and got to work straight away.
This one was definitely better. It was certainly very tricky, crocheting in black will always be fiddly because it’s difficult to see the individual stitches. Also, sewing the individual components together was, as always, extremely annoying. I just couldn’t get it to look anything like the completed design picture! Plus, I was using different coloured yarn to what the pattern recommended. In hindsight I should have used a lighter brown for the muzzle, because I think it looks a little too dark.
When I’d finished, I was so excited to give it to my grandfather, I popped over at 11pm at night to give it to him! He was absolutely over the moon to say the least and kept kissing him, which was so adorable! He decided to call him ‘Geraint’ which is Welsh for ‘George’.
My favourite part of Geraint, are his little thumbs! Unfortunately the photos don’t do him justice. Think I’ll have to take up photography to learn how to photograph completed projects!
Once Geraint was done, my mum asked me to make a dragon for our friend’s little boy, Theo. The thing is, my mum wanted it by the next day! I told her there was no way I could make another Dave, but that I would look and see if I could find something small that I could do in a day. Luckily I found this dragon pattern on ravelry and thought he would be quick and easy. I used the same green Women’s Institute yarn I’d used for Dave and spent an entire Sunday crocheting him. I think I spent 14 hours or so making him and was up til about 1am til he was finished. By the time I went to bed, my knuckles were aching, my fingers were sore, my forearms were tender and my eyes were virtually bleeding through tiredness! I text my mum the next day and asked her to take a photo of Theo with his new toy, to which she replied with: “I forgot it, they’re going to pick it up tomorrow’. I couldn’t believe it! I could have spent another evening on him instead of staying up so late and nearly breaking my fingers in the process! It was a blessing in disguise however, as it meant I got to see Theo’s reaction when he saw him. Theo decided to call him ‘Ned’ and we are yet to hear whether Ned is in fact a dragon or a dinosaur!
After I had spent all day with my brother making Ned, my sister-in-law asked me if I would make a unicorn for her friend who is about to have a baby. Never one to say no, I looked on ravelry and found this amazing unicorn. I decided to use my own colours for the hair and as I didn’t have enough rainbow coloured yarn, I only did half the recommended amount of hair ‘strands’. It was a really quick make and I really love how the ‘hair’ curls round in a spiral. (These were made by chaining 26 and putting 3dc (sc US term) in each chain. I really, really wanted to keep this one, but If I keep everything I make, my house will start looking like some sort of bizarre shop! So here is the finished Unicorn, who is un-named as yet….