amigurumi · Crochet

It’s a Heffalump!

Well, an elephant to use its official title!

Firstly, I must apologise.  I did an absolutely terrible job of photographing this project as I was doing it.  Truth be told, I do the majority of my crocheting in the evening, so I never have any natural light in which to take photos, so again I apologise.

I really fancied making something for myself, so I had a little think about my favourite animal – the elephant.  Again I relied on google and found a great pattern on the Deramore’s website by Vanessa Mooncie.  The pattern was easy to read and looked relatively uncomplicated.  I used the grey/silver glittery yarn I had for Christmas from my nan and set about making her.

I’ve said in the past that my favourite way of crocheting in the round is ‘amigurumi’ style (I think that’s what it’s called) where you don’t join the stitches at the end of the rounds, you just keep going round and round in a great big spiral.  Each component of the elephant was made like this, so I was quite chuffed with that.

Starting the Elephant 2

As I was making the head it became apparent that it was going to be a lot bigger than I originally thought.  This wasn’t a problem, in fact I was quite excited by doing something much bigger than I’ve ever done!

Shaping the trunk was really easy.  I was worried it was going to be tricky, but it really wasn’t, it was just a case of decreasing stitches.  I think it turned out really well!

Elephant Head

The body was next, followed by all 4 legs and the 2 ears.  It was really exciting seeing everything coming together and I just couldn’t wait to stitch it all together to see the finished piece.  As you all know, this is the worst job.  I hate sewing everything together, I always end up with wonky bits and full of worry that everything will fall apart!  These were all the individual components prior to stitching them together:

Elephant Components

In all honesty, stitching the pieces together wasn’t as bad as I thought.  I think the more practice I get, the easier it will become.

Once everything was stitched together I just needed to add the eyes and tail.  I’d like to have used safety eyes instead of crocheted eyes, but it would have been too awkward to correctly position them as I was going along, so crocheted eyes it was!

For the tail I just attached a few strands of yarn using a larkshead knot and plaited the strands together.  I think it looks really sweet.

So, without further ado, I present, Marilyn:

PicCollage

 

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “It’s a Heffalump!

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s